'The Grand Menai Suspension Bridge near Bangor, Carnarfonshire', 1826.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Letterpres and woodblock print, with text describing the construction and opening of the Menai Bridge. The suspension road bridge connecting the Welsh mainland with Anglesey acros the Menai Straits was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and was built between 1818 and 1826 by Dorman, Long and Co Ltd. The overall length of the bridge is 1000 feet and the central span measures 579 feet. The bridge deck was damaged by a gale in 1839 and the deck was replaced in 1893 with a steel one. Major repairs were carried out in 1940. Printed by J Brown, Bangor.