The Thames Tunnel, London, c 1845.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph taken from 'Spooner's Protean Views' titled; 'The Thames Tunnel changing to the Coronation Procesion from Buckingham Palace', published by William Spooner, 377 Strand, London. When the image, which is a handcoloured transparency printed on thin paper, is held up to the light, the Coronation procesion appears in the two tunnels. The Thames Tunnel from Rotherhithe to Wapping was the most remarkable undertaking by the engineer and inventor Sir Marc Isambard Brunel (1769-1849). Construction began in 1825, but was not completed until 1843, partly due to the workings being totally flooded in 1828, causing the project to be abandoned for several years. 50,000 people walked through the tunnel on the day it opened. Today it is part of the London Underground.