Steel engraving by T Garner after an original by T M Raynes, showing a scene at Sheernes Dockyard on the Isle of Sheppey. Sheernes first became a Royal Naval dockyard in the 17th century. In the early 19th century the prolific Scottish-born civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) designed a new naval dockyard. Work began in 1813, and was completed by Rennie's son in 1823. Sheernes continued to service Royal Navy ships until 1960.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library