Hand coloured engraving by W Bond after an original drawing by George Dodd. Dodd, a civil engineer who worked for John Rennie (1761-1821) proposed to build this bridge acros the Thames from a point near Somerset House. Dodd left Rennie's firm, and after the necesary funds had been raised by public subscription, the bridge was built to Rennie's design between 1811 and 1817. When it opened, the bridge was christened Waterloo Bridge, in honour of Wellington's victory over Napoleon in 1815. The bridge was replaced by the present Waterloo Bridge in 1945.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library