'Hungerford Suspension Bridge', London, c 1855.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Steel engraving by H S Barnard after an original drawing by Thomas H Shepherd. Isambard Kingdom Brunel's (1803-1859) suspension pedestrian footbridge opened in 1845. It spanned the River Thames from The Embankment to Lambeth and linked London's West End with the South Bank. It was replaced in 1864 by a railway bridge with a pedestrian walkway. Two new footbridges, built on either side of the 1864 bridge and costing £40 million, opened in 2002.