Steel engraving by James B Allen after an original drawing by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (1792-1864). Boatbuilders are busy on the riverbank with Vauxhall Bridge in the background. The bridge was built in 1816 to connect Lambeth with Westminster. The presure of increased traffic led to the bridge's foundations needing to be repaired in 1887, and the bridge was entirely rebuilt in 1905. Published in 'Metropolitan Improvements', by J Elmes and T Shepherd.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library