Steel engraving by W Wallis after an original drawing by Thomas Hosmer Shepherd (1792-1864). It shows the road bridge built acros the Thames at Southwark between 1815 and 1819 by the prolific Scottish civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821), with the dome of St Paul's Cathedral in the distance. Rennie's bridge was replaced by the current bridge in 1921. Published in 'Metropolitan Improvements', by J Elmes and T Shepherd.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library