Hand coloured engraving by R Acon after an original drawing by Thomas Shepherd showing Macclesfield Bridge over the Regent's Canal. The Bridge was originally called North Gate Bridge, but was re-named in honour of Lord Macclesfield, the Chairman of the Regent's Canal Company who steered the company through a financial crisis before the canal was completed. The bridge is perhaps best known as being the location where a barge carrying gunpowder exploded in 1874. The bridge was destroyed, but the cast-iron columns remained intact, enabling the structure to be rebuilt.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library