Royal Border Bridge, Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, 1850.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving by W H Lizars after W Banks, showing a view of the Royal Border Bridge built to carry the York, Newcastle and Berwick Railway acros the River Tweed. The bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson, and was officially opened by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert on 29th August 1850. Built of stone with 28 arches each of a span of 18.7 metres, the bridge carried the railway line acros the river at a height of 38 metres above the water. Today it still carries the East Coast Main Line connecting London and Edinburgh.