Engraving by A Ashley after an original drawn by J F Burrel, drawn and engraved for the British Gazette. The Menai Straits road bridge was designed by Thomas Telford (1757-1834) and was built between 1818 and 1826. The bridge deck was damaged by a gale in 1839 and the deck was replaced in 1893 with a steel one. Visible in the distance, the Britannia Tubular Bridge was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. It was constructed to carry trains acros the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. Stephenson's solution to the problem of how to carry the weight of trains pulling multiple carriages acros the straits was to construct the bridge from rectangular iron tubes, through which the trains would run.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library