Lithograph by A Brown & Co, showing the reservoir in New York City's Central Park during construction. The rapid growth of New York City in the 19th century necesitated the construction of a network of reservoirs, dams and aqueducts to provide the city with an adequate supply of fresh water. The reservoir in Central Park was constructed in 1862 to store drinking water brought into the city from the reservoir behind the Croton Dam in Westchester County. Named Lake Manahatta when it opened, the Central Park reservoir had a capacity of a billion gallons of drinking water. In 1993 it was taken out of service but remains on standby. The lithograph was published in D T Valentine's Manual of the Corporation of the City of New York for 1862.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library