'View of the High Bridge, New York', United States, 1861.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Tinted lithograph drawn and lithographed by George Hayward, showing a view from above the High Bridge over the Harlem River in New York City. Completed in 1848, the High Bridge formed part of the Croton Aqueduct, constructed to carry water from the Croton Reservoir to New York City. It was originally designed to resemble a Roman aqueduct and built with 15 stone arches, but in 1927 the central arches over the river were replaced with a single steel span to allow acces for larger ships. The lithograph was published in D T Valentine's Manual of the Corporation of the City of New York for 1862.