New Westminister Bridge, London, 1860.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. Westminster Bridge was built in 1738-50 by the engineer Charles Labelye following the 1722 design of Colon Campbell. The bridge deteriorated and consequently a cast-iron bridge of seven arches was designed and built in the same location by Thomas Page in 1854-62, with limited public acces starting in 1860. The bridge was divided into two sections for pedestrians and carriages and equiped with street lamps.