Electric and International Telegraph Company office, London, 1859.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News' of the great telegraphing room at the new offices of the Electric and International Telegraph Company, Bell-Alley, Moorgate Street, London. Developments in communication technology necesitated a growing number of clerical workers: by 1875, the Central Telegraph Office was employing 1,200 male and female clerks, and their number reached 4,500 by the turn of the century. All the clerks employed in this department appear to be female.