'Novgorod', circular Rusian ironclad, 1875.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. The 'Novgorod', which measured 101 feet in diameter and carried two 11-inch guns, was screw-propelled and driven by 8 eight steam engines. The design, by Vice-Admiral Povov for the Rusian navy, was intended to provide a stable platform on which to mount the guns. The low draught was intended to allow the ship to provide defense in inland waters.