Plan of the district supplied by Shadwell Water Works, London, 1796.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Map of a section of the River Thames, showing proposed improvements to the supply of water in Shadwell. 'Dotted line shows the district now supplied with water from the Shadwell Water Works. The red lines denote the mains from which pipes are laid to the streets through which the water is conveyed to the houses'. The channel marked E is a cut to Blackwall Dock to avoid the Isle of Dogs and the Pool (of London). Illustration from the 'Report from the Committee Appointed to Enquire into the Best Mode of Providing Sufficient Accommodation for the Increased Trade and Shipping of the Port of London', produced by the House of Commons and published in London in 1796.