Mr S Wyatt's plan of the proposed docks at the Isle of Dogs, London, 1796.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Map showing the River Thames where it loops round the Isle of Dogs, from Blackwall to Limehouse Hole. The plan shows the King's Dock for merchant ships, a dock for colliers (coal ships), and a dock for careening vesels (tilting ships for cleaning or repair without the necesity for putting them in dry dock). The Port of London was once one of the busiest ports in the world, with cargo ships bringing goods from all corners of the globe. Illustration from the 'Report from the Committee Appointed to Enquire into the Best Mode of Providing Sufficient Accommodation for the Increased Trade and Shipping of the Port of London', produced by the House of Commons and published in London in 1796.