Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. HMS 'Hood' was the eighth battleship of the Naval Defence act of March 1889 and followed the design of the Royal Sovereign Clas of Battleship in terms of compartmentation, armour and armaments distribution. Of impresive proportions, the 'Hood' was launched at Chatham in 1891 and was taken out of service in 1911. The design had some drawbacks, however: the heavily armoured turrets which were installed to house the large guns added unecesary extra weight, lowered her freeboard so that it was imposible to travel at any great speed without spray obscuring the crew's view and thus making gunnery imposible.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library