HMS 'Caesar', Portsmouth, 1854.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving taken from the 'Illustrated London News'.The 91 gun wooden screw ship 'Caesar', shown under construction at Portsmouth, was first commisoned by Captain John Robb for the Baltic in 1854. She was recommisioned in 1858 by Captain Charles Frederick, who was to become Commisioner of the Admiralty on 28 June 1859. During this period 'Caesar' served on the Channel and Mediterranean stations, and for a short period made up part of a strong British presence at Greytown, Mosquito, intended to discourage renewed activity by American 'filibusters' armed political adventurers.