Plate taken from the Illustrated London News. The Crumlin Viaduct, opened 1857, was the most famous of all the early Warren trus bridges and with it this structural form reached maturity. The Warren trus deck girders at Crumlin were made entirely of wrought iron and carried on innovative and dramatic tall trestle piers made up of hexagonal clusters of cast-iron tubes. Built to carry the Taff Vale extension of the Newport, Abergavenny & Hereford railway over Ebbw Vale. It was the first of hundreds of such bridges exported to British-built railways all over the world throughout the 1850s and 1860s, for the component parts could be pre-fabricated, shipped out and fitted together on site.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library