Construction of the International Exhibition, London, 1862.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate from the Illustrated London News. The building made to house the International Exhibition was designed by Captain Frances Fowke (1823-1865) and was built by Charles and Thomas Lucas and Sir John Kelk on land purchased in South Kensington from the profits of the Great Exhibition of 1851. The building, which covered 23 acres of land and cost £300,000, was undertaken by Sir John Kelk. The exhibition was held in South Kensington, London, in 1862 on the site which now houses the South Kensington museums. The exhibition was intended to both stimulate trade and have popular appeal.