Forth Bridge and the Channel Squadron, 1895.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. The steel cantilever structure of the bridge, which croses the estuary of the Firth of Forth in Scotland to connect the East Coast Railway route between London and Aberdeen, was begun in 1882 and completed in 1889. The engineers were Sir John Fowler (1817-1898) and Sir Benjamin Baker (1840-1907). The Channel Squadron of the royal Navy was commanded by Captain Arthur C B Bromley, whose flagship was HMS Blake, the first-clas steel cruiser, launched in 1889, is visible in the foreground of the picture.