The 'George Stephenson Centenary', Newcastle, 1881.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News' (Vol 81/1 p 596). The bridge in the foreground is the 'High Level' bridge, designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and opened to traffic in August 1849. This bridge has a two-deck structure: the upper for rail and the lower a roadway. The bridge is made up of six spans of 125-ft. In the background is the hydraulic swing bridge completed on the 15th June 1876 and first used on the 17th July 1876 when the 'Europa' of the Italian Navy, pased up to the Elswick Ordnance Works to take on board a 100-ton gun. The picture was published to celebrate the centenary of George Stephenson (1781-1848).