St Pancras Hotel, London, 1871.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the Illustrated London News. St Pancras Station and Midland Grand Hotel were designed by George Gilbert Scott (1811-1878). St Pancras was the most ornate of London's railway termini and is one of the most important examples of High Gothic Revival architecture. The station became the main London terminal of the York & Midland Railway. The hotel, however, proved difficult to adapt to the needs of the twentieth century and was converted to offices in the 1930s. In 2001-3, the entire forecourt was removed to enable reconstruction of the Underground station and building of the Channel Tunnel Rail link. Each part was recorded, numbered and put into storage, ready to be replaced by 2007.