Basil Hall's ovariotomy clamp, 1910-1920.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This instrument is composed of nickel-plated steel and was manufactured by Down Bros of London. Basil Hall designed this clamp to be used during ovariotomy operations of the type devised by Ernst Wertheim (1864-1920) of Vienna. The operation was first undertaken in 1906, and involved the removal of the uterus and all its appendages. It was developed to treat patients with cervical cancer.