The Armstrong Whitworth Atalanta was built in 1931 to the order of Imperial Airways. Eight aircraft served the Nairobi-Cape Town and Karachi-Singapore routes. Its high cruising speed and ability to operate into high altitude airports in tropical weather were its main attributes. It was powered by four Serval radial engines. In March 1941 the five survivors were transferred to the Indian Air Force.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library