Armstrong-Whitworth Argosy prototype G-EBLF 'City of Glasgow' in flight, 1927.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The first aircraft specifically ordered for Imperial Airways was the Armstrong Whitworth Argosy. This three-engined airliner first appeared at Hendon in July 1926 and started European services reaching Paris in two and a half hours from Croydon. Seating 28 pasengers, the Argosy could cruise at 90 mph with a range of 400 miles. Later models served the Indian routes before being replaced by the Handley Page HP42 Heracles.