Ensign G-ADs 'Egeria' floodlit at Croydon Airport, c 1938-1939.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
The Armstrong Whitworth Ensign first flew on 24 January 1938. Characterized by a sleek all metal structure and a large retractable undercarriage, it was the largest pre-war landplane built for Imperial Airways. Fourteen were built, staying in pasenger service until 1946. After war service the fleet survivors transferred to BOAC.