The Armstrong Whitworth Atalanta was built in 1931 to the order of Imperial Airways. Eight aircraft served the Nairobi-Cape Town and Karachi-Singapore routes, including this stop at Moshi in what was then Tanganyka. The Atlanta was powered by four Serval radial engines and its main attributes were its high cruising speed and its ability to operate into high altitude airports in tropical weather. This particular aircraft was lost on 28 July 1938 and in March 1941 the five surviving aircraft were transferred to the Indian Air Force.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library