Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. Cannon Street Station, shown nearing completion, was opened in 1866. It was the London terminus of the South Eastern Railway. A shuttle service was established between Cannon Street and Charing Cros, which, at a fare of two pence, was a popular method of avoiding congestion and carried three million people a year until it was superseded by the underground. In the foreground is Alexandra Bridge, built to serve the City terminus of the South East Railway in 1866 and designed by Sir John Wolfe Barry (1836-1918).
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library