Blackfriars Bridge and Station, London, 1863.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate taken from the 'Illustrated London News'. The Metropolitan District Railway (MDR) built the railway bridge in the background in order to extend the London, Chatham and Dover Railways (LCDR) line from Herne Hill over the river to Blackfriars and Farringdon. By 1870, the London Underground line was opened, forming part of the existing District and Circle Lines. The footbridge in the foreground, built in 1769, was replaced at the same time.