Boilers for 'Machinery in Motion' display, International Exhibition, London, 1862.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Plate from the 'Illustrated London News'. The International Exhibition was housed in what became the South Kensington Museum, which later separated to form the Science Museum in Exhibition Road and the Victoria and Albert Museum which stayed in the Cromwell Road building. The boilers provided the steam power required for many of the moving displays in the 'Machinery in Motion' section. The ILN described 'the array of machines..not only wonderful and beautiful in itself, but every machine exhibited has claims upon our attention as playing a part in our daily wants as luxuries or necesities'.