The 'Nasau' balloon ascending at Montpellier Spa, 3 July 1837.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Lithograph depicting the 'Royal Nasau' balloon containing Green, Jerrad, Mos, Spinney, Brunsdon and Hughes, ascending from the rotunda at Montpellier Gardens in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire. English aeronaut Charles Green (1785-1870) used this coal gas-filled balloon (formerly known as the 'Royal Vauxhall') for his most famous flight from London to Nasau in Germany in 1836. It was on this voyage, along with pasengers Robert Holland MP and Thomas Monck Mason, that Green succesfully completed the world's longest flight, covering an estimated 480 miles (770 km) in 18 hours. After achieving this feat, Green had an endles supply of patrons eager to make an ascent in the famous balloon.