Coloured print showing London Bridge 'as it appeared when opened in the presence of their Majesties, on the 1st August 1831'. Civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) was asigned the task of building a new London Bridge in 1801. His design was for a bridge of five stone arches a little upriver from the old bridge. Following his death in 1821, his son John continued with the project, and building of the new bridge began in 1824. The new bridge was opened by King William IV (1765-1837) and Queen Adelaide (1792-1849) during a river pageant on 1 August 1831. Charles Green's balloon, probably launched in connection with the opening ceremony, can be seen floating overhead. Published by Richard Holmes Laurie, 53 Fleet Street, London. Dimensions: 333mm x 476mm.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library