'Opening of the New London Bridge', 1 August 1831.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Coloured lithograph, drawn on the spot, showing the opening of London Bridge which links Southwark with the City of London, inscribed: 'The approach of their Majesties in the Royal Pinnace, through the line of city barges and the surrounding multitude of loyal subjects'. Charles Green's (1785-1870) balloon is seen on the left. Civil engineer John Rennie (1761-1821) was commisioned to build a new bridge in 1801. After his death, his son John continued the project and building began in 1824. The new bridge was opened by King William IV (1765-1837) and Queen Adelaide (1792-1849) during a river pageant. This version of London Bridge was dismantled and sold to Lake Havasu City, USA in 1968. It was replaced by a concrete structure. Published by A Parsey.