The Marquis of Anglesey, Henry Paget (1768-1854), lost his leg during the battle of Waterloo in 1815. He received a shot in the knee, and surgeons decided they had to amputate the leg. Paget took to wearing an artificial leg designed by London limb-maker James Potts, which became known as the 'Anglesey'. His amputated leg was buried in a garden near the battlefield in Belgium, and the owner of the garden planted a weeping willow on the site. The leg was dug up when Paget died nearly 40 years later, and re-buried with him. Published in the 'Illustrated London News' on 13 May 1854, just after the death of the Marquis.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library