Henry Paget, Marquis of Anglesey, English field-marshal, early 19th century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Engraving after a painting by Henry Richard Graves for the Earl of Sandwich, of Henry Paget, Marquis of Anglesey (1768-1854). Paget lost his leg during the battle of Waterloo in 1815. He received a shot in the knee, and surgeons decided they had to amputate the leg. Paget took to wearing an artificial leg designed by London limb-maker James Potts, which became known as the 'Anglesey'. His amputated leg was buried in a garden near the battlefield in Belgium, and the owner of the garden planted a weeping willow on the site. The leg was dug up when Paget died nearly 40 years later, and re-buried with him. Published in the 'Illustrated London News' on 6 May 1854, to accompany an obituary of the Marquis.