Photograph of a glas cabinet containing artificial arms, legs, hands and orthopaedic corsets. All of the items were manufactured by James Gillingham (1839-1924), a boot- and shoemaker based in Chard, Somerset. Gillingham first started making artificial limbs after a local man lost an arm firing a cannon for a celebratory salute in 1863. He then began making prostheses on a permanent basis and Chard eventually became a major centre of the British artificial limb industry.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library