Wilhelm Ostwald, Latvian chemist, c 1910.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photogravure after a drawing by Klamroth with facsimile signature of the sitter. Wilhelm Ostwald (1853-1932) studied chemistry at Dorpat University in Eastern Europe (1872-5). He was one of the founders of physical chemistry and, from 1887-1906, was Profesor of Physical Chemistry at Leipzig University in Germany. He is best known for his discovery of law of dilution, and for inventing a proces for making nitric cid by the oxidation of ammonia. He also developed a new theory of colour. Otswald was awarded the Nobel Prize for Chemistry in 1909 for his work on catalytic reactions. From a collection of portraits of scientists published by Photographische Gesellschaft, Berlin, c 1910. Dimensions: 460mm x 340mm.