Oscar Hertwig, German embryologist, 1906.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Photogravure after a photograph by Nicola Perscheid. Oscar Hertwig (1849-1922) studied medicine at Jena, Germany, under Ernst Heinrich Haeckel (1834-1919) and Carl Gegenbaur (1825-1903), and was Profesor of Anatomy there from 1881 to 1888. He was then Director of the Anatomical and Biological Institute, Berlin. Hertwig's chief contribution to embryology was his discovery in 1875 that fertilisation consists of the union of the nuclei of a male and a female sex cell. He introduced the term coelom (secondary body cavity) into the study of the germ-layer, and researched the malformation of vertebrate embryos. From a collection of portraits of scientists published by Photographische Gesellschaft, Berlin, c 1910. Dimensions: 460mm x 340mm.