Theophilus Redwood, Welsh chemist, 1854-1866.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Studio portrait photograph by Maull and Polyblank of Theophilus Redwood (1806-1892). Redwood was an apprentice to a surgeon-apothecary in Cardiff before moving to London to become an asistant in the pharmacy of John Bell. In 1841, with Jacob Bell and other leading chemists, Redwood formed the Pharmaceutical Society, which was designed to protect the interests of the chemists and to improve their training and status. He became Profesor of the Society's School of Pharmacy, establishing the first practical chemistry instruction in Britain in 1844. He was also secretary of the Cavendish Society (1846-72) and vice-president of the Chemical Society (1880-82). Dimensions: 200mm x 150mm.