Sir Charles Tilston Bright, telegraph engineer, c 1860.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Carte de visite photograph by Mayall of Sir Charles Tilston Bright (1832-1888). Bright began working for the Electric Telegraph Company in 1847 and patented the acoustic telegraph known as 'Bright's Bells' in 1855. As engineer to the Atlantic Cable Company he took part, under Lord Kelvin, in the first under-sea laying of a cable from south west Ireland to Newfoundland in Canada in 1858. He then went on to lay cables in the Mediterranean, the Persian Gulf and the West Indies. He was consulting engineer for the Magnetic Company between 1860 and 1870.