Chromolithograph by Spy of James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of Crawford (1847-1913). Lindsay built an observatory at the family estate at Dunecht in Scotland. In the 1890s, when the government threatened to close down the Calton Hill Observatory in Edinburgh, Lindsay offered his collection of astronomical instruments, and his library of rare astronomical books, to found a new Royal Observatory. This was built on Blackford Hill in 1896. Lindsay also built the Bibliotheca Lindesiana, one of the most important private collections of books of the time. Among Lindsay's other achievements were pioneering new photographic techniques, and commercialising the electrical industry. From the magazine 'Vanity Fair'.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library