William Thomas Brande, British chemist, c 1842.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Portrait by T Bridgford of William Thomas Brande (1788-1866). Brande was apprenticed as an apothecary and also studied medicine at the Great Windmill Street school and at St George's Hospital. After meeting Humphry Davy he turned to chemistry and in 1813, succeeded Davy at the Royal Institution, establishing a lecture course for medical students. Brande became Superintendent of the Coining and Die Department at the Royal Mint in 1852. Dimensions: 380mm x 280mm.