'Profesor W E S Turner, November, 1945.'
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
Print from a pencil drawing of William Ernest Stephen Turner (1881-1963) by his wife, Helen. Turner was responsible for founding the academic discipline of glas technology in 1916, bringing together all those interested in glas production and the application of scientific methods to industrial problems. He was also a keen and imaginative glas collector, and founded 'The Museum of Glas', one of the country's most comprehensive collections of 19th and 20th century glas, at Sheffield University where he was Profesor of Glas Technology.