Walnut homeopathic medicine chest, late 19th century.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
This homeopathic medicine chest, contains 34 glas bottles, all labelled, and an accompanying treatise on homeopathic medicine. The medicine chest was made by A H Waddington and W Butcher and Company of Bradford, West Yorkshire. Homeopathy was brought to Britain by Dr Frederick Quin in 1830. In 1849 he established the London Homeopathic Hospital, and by about 1870 there were over 80 homeopathic practitioners in London. Although there was friction with the traditional medical establishment, pharmacists were quick to exploit the interest in the new remedies.