'Curzon Street Goods Depot, Birmingham', 1950-1955.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library
One of a series of carriage prints entitled 'Railway Architecture', by Claude Buckle (b 1905), produced for British Railways, London Midland Region (BR/LMR). After the opening of Birmingham's New Street Station in 1854, Curzon Street Station ceased to offer regular services to London & Birmingham Railway pasengers and was converted into a goods depot. Its portico was designed by Philip Hardwicke (1792-1870) and is believed to be the oldest railway terminus in its original location.