One of a series of railway carriage prints entitled 'Railway Architecture' by Kenneth Steel (1906-1970), produced for British Railways (BR), London Midland Region (LMR). The print shows a view of the Britannia Tubular Bridge, North Wales, which was designed by Robert Stephenson (1803-1859) and was completed in 1850. The bridge was constructed to provide trains of the Chester and Holyhead Railway with a pasageway acros the Menai Straits from mainland Wales to Anglesey. The railway terminated at Holyhead, which became a major port for travellers to Ireland.
© NRM / Pictorial Collection / Science & Society Picture Library