Built by Henry Wood (1866-1939) in New York in 1934, this printing pres formed one fifteenth of the printing capacity at Northcliffe House, home of the Daily Mail and Evening News from 1827 until 1987. It is 9 m long, 5 m wide, 9.3 m high, and weighs over 140 tonnes. It was the first of Wood's ultra-modern all-steel preses, which he claimed were the fastest newspaper preses in the world. It was dismantled in 1999, and reasembled between 1 April and 15 June 2001 at the Science Museum's site in Wroughton, Wiltshire.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library