Artificial arm, 1920.
© Science Museum / Science & Society Picture Library
All-metal artificial arm for a left above-elbow amputation, specially designed for heavy work. The socket and forearm are constructed of duralumin, a light aluminium alloy, and are connected by jointed side steels. The elbow joint operates around a metal arc with holes for six locking positions. The lock may be released and kept free by means of a crude gate-hinged device which fits onto a projecting pin on the side steel. The wrist has a snap fitting mechanism for easy fitting and removal of the hand or other terminal devices. This prosthesis is also fitted with an all-rubber hand and heavy-duty harnes appendages. Made by McKay. The name on the arm label refers to James Morrison who had a financial interest in the McKay busines. Full view.